Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 3:49 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Bon Voyage
Default Sims 2 Size texture
Good afternoon. I would like to know how to make all facial hair displayed in 1024 resolution? I found out that first you need to increase the size of the face itself (TSData\Res\Sims3D-sims 07), right? Then import the enlarged vegetation textures in the same way. (by Building DXT5)
I did everything, but I ran into such a problem:
Although there is no such thing in the Cas itself..
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 4:53 PM
What is the problem, exactly? She doesn't appear to have any facial hair.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 9:47 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 22nd Apr 2024 at 10:56 PM.
Don't directly edit anything in the game files. Make default replacements for the faces instead. Much safer, and easier to remove if they cause any trouble (which it is likely they will).

CC face overlays (eyes, makeup, etc.) are 512x512, so there's not too much point in making them larger. Most CC will revert to using 512x512.

For the default replacement faces (again, don't directly replace game files, but extract and make defaults!), make sure to use the DDS tools with DXT3 or DXT5 (DXT5 if the alpha is used). Don't use "import", and don't do "update all sizes" (especially not with DXT/DDS).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2024 at 9:58 PM
Even if you could make all at 1024 I would not, as the larger and moire textures you have increases the chances of pink flashing.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Don't directly edit anything in the game files. Make default replacements for the faces instead. Much safer, and easier to remove if they cause any trouble (which it is likely they will).

CC face overlays (eyes, makeup, etc.) are 512x512, so there's not too much point in making them larger. Most CC will revert to using 512x512.

For the default replacement faces (again, don't directly replace game files, but extract and make defaults!), make sure to use the DDS tools with DXT3 or DXT5 (DXT5 if the alpha is used). Don't use "import", and don't do "update all sizes" (especially not with DXT/DDS).

(Update all size) - can’t this be done?
Dont know. Thanks for the tip.

I really want to use eyebrows that have a texture of 1024. But the game blurs them due to the fact that the face has a size of 512. That’s why I came here.

I'm not going to enlarge the body, just the face and all its overlays. 1024-It's not that much. Right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 2:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
What is the problem, exactly? She doesn't appear to have any facial hair.

No hair. But there is an artifact. Because I increased the size of my face
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 9:19 AM
So you're trying to make custom eyebrows? You confused me with 'facial hair' lol; I thought that you were trying to give her a beard.

I've never tried to make eyebrows, but there's a similar problem with toddler clothing. Out of all the ages it's the only one set to 512 instead of 1024 for some reason and that can make patterned textures really blurry. I managed to fix it by using an alpha layer. If you set 'skin' to 1024, then it will force it back to 512, but if you set 'alpha' to 1024, then it will stay that way. I don't know if you can even do that for eyebrows, but if you can then it's worth a try. This will mean that you don't need to increase the face size, I think.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 9:39 AM
So you're trying to make custom eyebrows? You confused me with 'facial hair' lol; I thought that you were trying to give her a beard.

I've never tried to make eyebrows, but there's a similar problem with toddler clothing. Out of all the ages it's the only one set to 512 instead of 1024 for some reason and that can make patterned textures really blurry. I managed to fix it by using an alpha layer. If you set 'skin' to 1024, then it will force it back to 512, but if you set 'alpha' to 1024, then it will stay that way. I don't know if you can even do that for eyebrows, but if you can then it's worth a try. This will mean that you don't need to increase the face size, I think.

I apologize for misinterpreting))
Oh, can you be more specific about where and what needs to be changed?)

I have the value SimSkin, if that's important.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 9:41 AM
Give me a minute to load up Bodyshop and take a look at eyebrows (and when I say a minute I mean several minutes, because I have too much CC XD).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 10:09 AM
Ok, there's no mesh for eyebrows, so you can't make an alpha layer, so forget what I said about that.

But I tried resizing eyebrows to 1024 and they stayed at 1024 and didn't revert to 512. What eyebrows are you using?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 10:26 AM
Ok, there's no mesh for eyebrows, so you can't make an alpha layer, so forget what I said about that.

But I tried resizing eyebrows to 1024 and they stayed at 1024 and didn't revert to 512. What eyebrows are you using?

I took the eyebrows from the author of obscurus (sims 4)
Here is a clear difference in quality in the screenshot.
The game does not display 1024 in any way. Stubborn on my 512((
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 11:57 AM
Where is the non blurred screenshot from? I don't know why it won't let you do 1024. It worked for me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 1:38 PM
Where is the non blurred screenshot from? I don't know why it won't let you do 1024. It worked for me.

For example, I applied eyebrows to my face and looked at the result in a milkshape. Everything is wonderful there.
In the game, these same eyebrows (or rather its texture) are soapy (
where 1024 is a milkshape.
Here are the eyebrows on the face and the texture separately
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#14 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 5:10 PM
Do you have the "Texture detail" setting on high? If not, try it. Could help a bit.

Clothes (skin/skin overlay parts) and face overlays use whatever texture size the base skintone has. If the skin base for the face is 512x512, you can't use a face overlay (makeup, eyes, eyebrows, etc.) that's 1024x1024, because ingame, it automatically "reverts" to using the 512x512 mipmap.

You can size up the face to 1024x1024, and this will allow you to use 1024x1024 face overlays for the face, but the problem then is that 99.9% of all makeup items out there are 512x512, so while your few items will work fine, all other items likely will look somewhat blurry since they're using a 512x512 texture on a 1024x1024 face.

I've sized up the infant body skins for my default skins to 1024x1024, because I wanted to use that size for baby clothes, and it works fine - but 512x512 clothes still look blurry, and clothes on skins I haven't resized also still look blurry since they'll use the 512x512 texture from the 1024x1024 clothes. Most of the time I just can't be bothered.

For toddlers, another issue with sizing up the textures is that a lot of clothes have bump maps, and those create problems if they're a different size than the skin (they can be removed, though - but again, sizing up and then removing UV maps for 1000+ recolors VS just keeping the size... sometimes it's not worth the energy).

512x512 isn't that small for the face, really - UVmapped, it's taking up more space than a similar chunk of the body would.

Quote: Originally posted by ftsims2
(Update all size) - can’t this be done?
Dont know. Thanks for the tip.

I really want to use eyebrows that have a texture of 1024. But the game blurs them due to the fact that the face has a size of 512. That’s why I came here.

I'm not going to enlarge the body, just the face and all its overlays. 1024-It's not that much. Right?

This is if you change textures in SimPE, not in Bodyshop. Replace using DXT3 or 5. Don't touch DXT1, "import" or "update all sizes" because those only make stuff blurry.

Bodyshop itself can make textures a bit blurry, so if that's an issue you're seeing, using SimPE to replace textures can help.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 5:23 PM
Clothes (skin/skin overlay parts) and face overlays use whatever texture size the base skintone has. If the skin base for the face is 512x512, you can't use a face overlay (makeup, eyes, eyebrows, etc.) that's 1024x1024, because ingame, it automatically "reverts" to using the 512x512 mipmap.

I've sized up the infant body skins for my default skins to 1024x1024, because I wanted to use that size for baby clothes, and it works fine - but 512x512 clothes still look blurry, and clothes on skins I haven't resized also still look blurry since they'll use the 512x512 texture from the 1024x1024 clothes. Most of the time I just can't be bothered.

So it resizes in the game, but not in Bodyshop? Because I tried making some 1024 size eyebrows and they stayed 1024 in Bodyshop.

The baby clothes you uploaded aren't like that though? Because I use a lot of them and I have default sized skins. XD
Mad Poster
#16 Old 23rd Apr 2024 at 10:45 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Apr 2024 at 11:00 PM.
They resize in Bodyshop, and will export with whatever size you set there, but ingame the item shows up with the largest base size it finds in the current skin (normally 1024x1024 for body, 512x512 for face/head).

Best example I can give you is with my infant outfits that use a 1024x1024 map. In this picture, the babies have a 1024x1024 skin - and the outfits show up very detailed and fine. In this picture they have the exact same outfits but a 512x512 skin, and here the game pulls the 512x512 mipmap/texture from the outfit instead. Even though the 1024x1024 outfit texture is available, the game doesn't read past the largest skin size it finds. This happens with anything that overlays the skin.
(the outfits with larger textures and without extra groups added will get better textures if the skin texture is sized up - I've done it for some of my most used skins. They're still able to use the 512x512 textures, and infant skins are the least problematic to size up, since there's nothing else than a diaper for them ingame).

Outfits converted from TS3/TS4 and such often have extra groups, and those can be a different size from the group that overlays the skin.

I did a lot of experimenting with sizing textures and the effects it had a while back, when I was figuring out the infant outfits.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 2:02 AM
Do you have the "Texture detail" setting on high? If not, try it. Could help a bit.

You can size up the face to 1024x1024, and this will allow you to use 1024x1024 face overlays for the face, but the problem then is that 99.9% of all makeup items out there are 512x512, so while your few items will work fine, all other items likely will look somewhat blurry since they're using a 512x512 texture on a 1024x1024 face.

For toddlers, another issue with sizing up the textures is that a lot of clothes have bump maps, and those create problems if they're a different size than the skin (they can be removed, though - but again, sizing up and then removing UV maps for 1000+ recolors VS just keeping the size... sometimes it's not worth the energy).

512x512 isn't that small for the face, really - UVmapped, it's taking up more space than a similar chunk of the body would.

This is if you change textures in SimPE, not in Bodyshop. Replace using DXT3 or 5. Don't touch DXT1, "import" or "update all sizes" because those only make stuff blurry.

Bodyshop itself can make textures a bit blurry, so if that's an issue you're seeing, using SimPE to replace textures can help.

I created a separate file, as you advised, so as not to touch the root folder of the game.
Then I enlarged the faces in all tones, enlarged all facial overlays (except for cosmetics and masks)
Uploaded via DXT5. I haven't updated the sizes!
Just in case, I also configured the Graphics Rules file (so that the bodyshop allows loading a 1024 texture)

Unfortunately, no result. It’s all in vain..((
Mad Poster
#18 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 2:24 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Apr 2024 at 2:34 AM.
Delete the cache files, too (accessory+groups). If you update skins sims are already using ingame, the cache files could be holding on to incorrect info for those sims.

If sims are already wearing the changed items, you likely have to reapply them for the changes to show.

Also make sure you have the "Texture detail" setting on high in the graphic settings.

Just enlarging the skin textures won't do much (can in some cases look slightly worse, because making it bigger means you're stretching one pixel into four, so the program you're using for the resizing needs to calculate this. Some programs, and some settings in those programs do it better than others). If the skins already have imperfections, those will still show. Same with any imperfections in the other face overlays. If you want higher quality skins/details, those need to be made for the larger skins, meaning the problem areas need to be smoothed out or filled with more skin details, depending.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 3:26 AM
Delete the cache files, too (accessory+groups). If you update skins sims are already using ingame, the cache files could be holding on to incorrect info for those sims.

If sims are already wearing the changed items, you likely have to reapply them for the changes to show.

Also make sure you have the "Texture detail" setting on high in the graphic settings.

Just enlarging the skin textures won't do much (can in some cases look slightly worse, because making it bigger means you're stretching one pixel into four, so the program you're using for the resizing needs to calculate this. Some programs, and some settings in those programs do it better than others). If the skins already have imperfections, those will still show. Same with any imperfections in the other face overlays. If you want higher quality skins/details, those need to be made for the larger skins, meaning the problem areas need to be smoothed out or filled with more skin details, depending.

Unfortunately nothing helps. I give up...((
It rests on its 512...
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 6:59 AM
Are you sure you're using the proper files to make the default replacement skins?
If you're unsure, download one and try replacing the faces there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 7:37 AM Last edited by ftsims2 : 24th Apr 2024 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Added text
Are you sure you're using the proper files to make the default replacement skins?

Here in this screenshot is the main file. Right?
I created a separate package from it and removed unnecessary textures. I left only faces and overlays (beards, eyebrows, stubble) And I placed this file in the downloads folder.

I did not touch the file itself, which is in the screenshot.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Apr 2024 at 7:46 AM

And this is what the updated size of the texture that I replaced looks like.
I did this with all the adult faces. Did not touch children, teenagers and old people.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 25th Apr 2024 at 3:54 AM
As I understand it, this is all due to the fact that there are LIFO files that cannot be changed. Therefore, both the skin tones and all the facial overlays will have a texture that is specified in the LIFO.
What kind of restriction is that?(((
Mad Poster
#24 Old 25th Apr 2024 at 4:19 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Apr 2024 at 4:35 AM.
Can you take a screenshot of your ingame graphic settings?

Also, is the sim in the first picture above using the (first) version of the 1024x1024 face? Because there shouldn't be any pixellation (at least not that bad) with the original textures, even with 512x512. It almost looks like she's using an even smaller texture, something like 256x256 (which is why I was asking about the graphic setting - it doesn't help with larger textures if they aren't even being used ingame. The game could be trying to access the smaller ones, which could be why the default-replacing isn't working).

I htink the LIFOs are only used with the "Texture detail" setting on high.

--

Just to illustrate how skins usually should look ingame - these aren't the EAxis skins, but my regular default replacement skins and some random makeup (I used an old pic) - you can see some slight pixellation around the nose/mouth, but not nearly as bad. This is with regular 512x512 textures.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 25th Apr 2024 at 2:34 PM
Can you take a screenshot of your ingame graphic settings?

Also, is the sim in the first picture above using the (first) version of the 1024x1024 face? Because there shouldn't be any pixellation (at least not that bad) with the original textures, even with 512x512. It almost looks like she's using an even smaller texture, something like 256x256 (which is why I was asking about the graphic setting - it doesn't help with larger textures if they aren't even being used ingame. The game could be trying to access the smaller ones, which could be why the default-replacing isn't working).

I htink the LIFOs are only used with the "Texture detail" setting on high.

--

Just to illustrate how skins usually should look ingame - these aren't the EAxis skins, but my regular default replacement skins and some random makeup (I used an old pic) - you can see some slight pixellation around the nose/mouth, but not nearly as bad. This is with regular 512x512 textures.

If you mean about this picture, then the problem was that I updated all the sizes. But it turned out that this could not be done. So I solved the problem with this defect.
Here are the graphics settings. I also have graphics rules set up.
Screenshots
Page 1 of 2