Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis "Lost & Found" #4: The Matte Sphere *OPEN CONTEST*

by Numenor Posted 6th Jan 2005 at 6:28 PM - Updated 16th Feb 2009 at 12:21 AM by Numenor : Added several Animated Spheres by Pixelhate

85 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 83 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Test Subject
#26 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 1:14 AM
That REALLY needs a WORLD MAP wrapped around it (GLOBE for the knowledge Sim's study)
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 11th Feb 2005 at 8:19 AM Last edited by numenor : 11th Feb 2005 at 8:25 AM.
Well, there are a lot ideas about this sphere, and since my last post on this thread many things have changed (mesh editing ).
Unfortunately, I've never used a 3D editor, and I barely know what "UV mapping" means, so... I hereby officially open the

"SHOW THE WORLD YOUR OWN SPHERES"
MODDING CONTEST

Rules:
1) The external appearance of the object must be identical as the original (i.e. you can't modify the mesh and the position of the sphere and the stand).
2) New meshes can be added inside or outside the sphere.
3) A new texture can be UV mapped on the original sphere.
4) New functions can be added to the object: its *not* necessary to keep it in the "Decorative" catalog (i.e. the object can use other Globals then the current "Painting Globals").
5) It's mandatory to use SimPE v.015, in order to have a EP-ready object; on the contrary, enabling colour options for it it's optional (I can make it, if you want).

(The original object is the "Sphere - Matte" [GroupID 0x7F139DED]; you can post your creations in this thread).

Show the World your own Spheres! :D

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Alchemist
#28 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 6:11 AM
I'm game.
I added my own rule "Wes_H can't use any software other people can't get".
So here's my entry...
<* Wes *>
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ManTrapSphere-Wes_H.zip (203.5 KB, 353 downloads)

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 11:23 AM
Wow! Creepy!

So far the Top Ten is:
1) Wes_h

:D
Alchemist
#30 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 11:47 PM
Someone could probably improve this by tweaking the transparenct values in the MATD. There could be someone nearby that has more experience in this area (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
<* Wes

Mesh Maestro
#31 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 1:01 PM
Thats pretty cool Wes... I have to admit at 6:50 A.M. it did frighten me just a bit... LOL Does that little dude come out and kill my Sims? Ha Ha Ha.. I like it got my no. 1 vote too...

numenor; This was a great idea and a good way to get us all involved in something together...

I surely will certainly do my best to post a formidable entry though my skills are not to the level I wish it was...
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 1:04 PM
wow.. this is cool!
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 5:02 AM
The sphere is crashing my game done it three times when I buy it and lay it down crash and burn I love this object!!! Its clear purple one! {Take Care Of Your Self}as chii would say
Mesh Maestro
#34 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 3:30 AM Last edited by JWoods : 16th Feb 2005 at 4:11 AM. Reason: fixed on off textures
First hand…

This is considered a test object though it has run flawless on my machine as the tools used to make it...

Since this is the first object I have released I would like to thank Quaxi for Simpe, Delphy and Miche for the Mesh Tool, and all of you here at MTS2 who share your findings and knowledge with us all… Thanks to Wes for keeping me going “A cube today, and in a few weeks, body meshes. :-)”

Not exactly a “body mesh” or anything that incredible since I am just learning all this stuff… I have created what I like to call the “SuperSphere”. The center of the globe contains an additional mesh” a ball of fusion particles” which can be turned on and off by your Sim. The outer sphere retains the particles yet it allows the illumination to escape.

Thanks for opening this thread it was a lot of fun…

screen shots...
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  JW_SuperSphere_21505a.zip (136.0 KB, 395 downloads)

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 9:14 AM
Great! I tried to make a light from this sphere, but I couldn't, so I appreciate your creation even more!
I'm creating a link to your package and pictures in the front page.

Seems we have an ex-aequo in the Top Ten!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 3:14 PM Last edited by Numenor : 16th Feb 2005 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Replaced attachment - Fixed version
Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
Someone could probably improve this by tweaking the transparenct values in the MATD.

Quote: Originally posted by tatsel9
The sphere is crashing my game

Yes, it crashed my game, too. So, I decided to fix it (making it EP-ready, as well).

As per request, I made the glass sphere a bit more transparent.

Here is the updated package. It has the same name and GUID of Wes_h's object, so you have to delete/overwrite the older one.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ManTrapSphere-Wes_H.rar (169.2 KB, 1224 downloads)

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 4:59 PM
THANK YOU :bow2: NUMENOR :bow: I WILL TRY IT OUT I DO LOVE THIS OBJECT ! {TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF}as chii would say
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 11:37 PM
OK, I fixed also the clickable area of Wes_h's sphere.
Wes, you made a great job with the mesh, but the package was terrible!
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 18th Feb 2005 at 4:08 AM
Yeah, weather would be wicked awesome. More's the pity that Maxis scrapped the whole weather changing thing. Simslice has a weather machine, but you have to buy it...*sigh* ah well, maybe some day it'll be free to change the weather. Nice item btw, I'm *sure* one of the many geniuses on here will think of something awe inspiring to do with it
Alchemist
#40 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 6:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
OK, I fixed also the clickable area of Wes_h's sphere.
Wes, you made a great job with the mesh, but the package was terrible!

Well, I used SimPE, and after umpteen attempts to add a texture map for the skeleton with the new naming and hashing scheme, I just redid it all by hand.
I am curious what you think was making other's games crash, as I would never post an object that crashed here. Obviously, there are some things that work under some configurations and not others, and this might be useful data to go by.
<* Wes *>

BTW, I like Mr. Woods' entry. I want him to know I think he's ready for that killer body mesh now.

Alchemist
#41 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:32 AM
OK, now I think I'm going to answer my own question.
Numenor, your remarks about the mouse-click area led me to look closely at the mesh inside my package.
My MilkShape plugins, which I used to create the mesh gmdc for the sphere with, were generating a corrupt model data section, which is a complete, but invisible, copy of the whole model (without normals or UVs) that the game uses to build the "mouse-click area" from (this is for the non-animated meshes).
I think it is likely that that was the source of the crashes, because the mouse click area was not too small, it was huge, scattered in little pieces all over the lot. I am guessing that it was also reading random sections of memory to generate the mouse-click area from, also, and perhaps overwhelming computers loaded with more apps or less memory/slower CPU than I have here.
So I chased down a teeny but nasty mistake (adding an offset before instead of after) in my exporter plugin, and had the thrill of the hunt, too.
<* Wes *>

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#42 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 9:51 AM
I'm glad you've found what the problem was. This explains why some games crashed and why others didn't (I *knew* that your sphere didn't crash your game ).
Since I'm not a mesh creator, I never used your plugin; instead, I exported the mesh and then reimported with the MeshTool, re-creating the mouse-click area.
Alchemist
#43 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 8:57 AM
I'm glad you've found what the problem was. This explains why some games crashed and why others didn't (I *knew* that your sphere didn't crash your game ).
Since I'm not a mesh creator, I never used your plugin; instead, I exported the mesh and then reimported with the MeshTool, re-creating the mouse-click area.

Well, I am glad I took your challenge, because it enabled me to determine something was wrong. Once I knew where to look, fixing it was easy.
It's likely the plugins would exist even if I was the ONLY person that ever used them. It is through their creation that I have been able to have something I can tweak to explore the GMDC file formats and discover the layout details that form the mouse click areas, the fat morphs, the bone location data and the skin-weight and bone assignment formats.
<* Wes *>

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#44 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 9:19 AM
Wonderful. We rely on you for having, in the near future, custom-animated objects! :D
Field Researcher
#45 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by brgndyrose31
That is really neat. A cool thing to do with it (even though it might not be able to be done yet) is to have like electricity flow through them, so when you touch it, it will follow your hands.

Hey brill idea you could use the eletrocuted animation for it.
Instructor
#46 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 5:11 AM
errrr a person trapped in a sphere.... scarry I LOVE IT!!!
Instructor
#47 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 5:13 AM
so ummm what do you win if you win the contest and when does it end because if its a good prize i sould learn to make objects pretty damn fast
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 9:57 AM
LOL! Let me introduce you the first never-ending-contest-with-no-prizes-to-win in the history!
Cool, uh? :D
so, if you want to learn how to make objects, take your time... and then Show The World Your Sphere!
Field Researcher
#49 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 2:31 AM
Could you rescale them to make garden globes?

I'm desperately trying to make a floor lamp of it. I've cloned it, edited the ObjectData to make them appear in the catalog among the floor lamps (I've registered a new the GUID for the "lamp" sphere, that I called "The Daily Globe" ). I changed the Global Data to Lamps globals and edited the Object Functions to make it turn on and off, added the right BHAVs and everything, and still it doesn't light up.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 11:40 AM
Yes, I could do it... if my computer wouldn't have broken down

Anyway, I was planning to create some new garden and outdoor lights: your suggestion to use a scaled version of this Globe is good, I'll keep in mind!
Page 2 of 4