Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 18th Nov 2005 at 7:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AmberDiceless
...or not. Now I can't even get the darn thing to show up in my game when I change the GUID. O_o

I think I'll wait to see what happens with SuperFly's back-to-back careers, and if nobody else comes up with anything, I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and rebuild them both from scratch using completely different base careers.

Thanks, everybody, for your input and encouragement!

You can't get it to appear? Have you chnaged the group ID, because you used a guid group ID- ther ID was your guid with FF in front of it.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 4:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by akatonbo
Out of curiosity, one thing I wasn't clear on from some of the earlier discussion -- did you actually build the second career using the first one as the base for it, or was it just that you built them in quick succession from the same base, and since they were so similar there was a lot of copying and pasting?

I built the Demon career using the Angel career as a base, since there are only a few major differences between them in terms of skills needed, work days & times and so on. I am now convinced this was a mistake... :/
Instructor
#28 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 4:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperFly
You can't get it to appear? Have you chnaged the group ID, because you used a guid group ID- ther ID was your guid with FF in front of it.

Yes I did. (And I've been changing the Group ID's that way according to Psion's instructions in his tutorial...is this a bad idea?)
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 19th Nov 2005 at 1:55 PM
Hi guys

Amber, the fact that demon was based on angel is the most probable cause of the problem. I suggest that everyone just sits tight and wait until I can release my double career to see if the same problem occurs.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate
Test Subject
#30 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 11:29 AM
Hi Amber, I am getting the careers to appear, and the demon career works fine as far as car pick ups are concerned. But the angel is having the reported problem. I am going to try moving one career out of the folder I have it in and into my main downloads and see if that fixes the problem.
Instructor
#31 Old 22nd Nov 2005 at 8:02 PM Last edited by AmberDiceless : 22nd Nov 2005 at 8:10 PM. Reason: Had wrong URL
SuperFly, I found this thread on MATY a few days ago, and I'm wondering whether it could be in any way relevant to this issue?

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1538.0

They only mention days off being counted as paid vacation days in the Maxis careers, but it sounds suspiciously similar to what's happening with mine, and it's apparently a glitch that dates back to the base game. Thought it might be worth mentioning.
Test Subject
#32 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 2:08 AM
I had this problem with another career I downloaded (so it's not just yours - it was the "on the road salesman" career someone posted on this site), and so I searched the maxis BBS:

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/communit...4c58e4a792a7fb3

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/communit...36c7bdc0b6c054d

Which is basically what they're saying on Pescado's site.

In any case, I'm SOOOOO happy this is a bug set in the game and not something from a lot I downloaded! I was all ready to start my neighborhood over again ;_;
Test Subject
#33 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 2:48 AM
Hi Amber, I think I have solved the problem for my game. I separated the careers, I have one career in the main downloads file, and the other in my careers subfolder, and so far they work perfectly. No more missed pick ups, yes!
Instructor
#34 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 6:47 AM
Thank you, Balisong and simscrazy. It's nice to know that there's at least a good chance it's a game problem and not something I did wrong, though I'd still like to see how SuperFly's back-to-back careers turn out. I'll add the separate-folders suggestion to the main career thread, and if anyone else who's reported the problem here would like to try that and check back with the results, I'd be very grateful.

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it, btw!
Field Researcher
#35 Old 24th Nov 2005 at 10:12 AM
Hmm, this is interesting actually. From what I can see it is not exactly like we have with the A/D careers here, but similar. Maybe it all stems from the same problem, and is only manifesting itself differently but while I do understand the reason behind the thing reported on this site I am not sure how to translate it to the A/D ones, considering I had this problem during the day. Hmm..
Instructor
#36 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 7:57 PM
Yep, I'm not taking it as a given that it's the same thing, but it seems like there might be at least a chance it is. And it *is* nice to know that someone else's custom career has had the same problem...I wonder if should try to track down whoever made the salesman career Balisong mentioned and find out whether they ever found a way around it.
Test Subject
#37 Old 1st Dec 2005 at 3:38 AM
The "on the road sales" career is here http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...the+road+career but noone on there has mentioned the problem. It's a neat career though!
Instructor
#38 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 7:28 AM
Hey, I saw that Pescado had released a Monday morning bugfix, so I stayed up late to do another round of testing -- I didn't really think it was exactly the same problem, but, not knowing how Pescado wrote his fix, I figured there was always a chance that it might help, since the symptoms are the same even if the root cause is likely different. Unfortunately, I haven't got good news.

I started off, before I tried the bugfix, by putting the two careers in different subdirectories of my Careers directory, since originally I had the two in the same subdirectory, and some people reported that had helped them. Made a household with an angel Sim and a demon Sim (not Aziraphale and Crowley, for the curious... I should take pictures, they came out cool-looking). Got the angel a job. She had the error on her first day off.

Quit out of the game, took out the demon career, started it up again. Made a new angel sim in a house by himself. Started using Merola's multipainting for speed, stuffed him into the angel job, and kept him busy maxing skills in between 1-hour shifts. He was working 1pm-2pm when he got his first day off, and by 5pm everything looked fine. Saved and quit. Put in the demon career, and also the Monday morning fix. Started up the game again, made a demon Sim, stuck him in the job, etc. No luck; he got the error on his first day off.

I'm thinking I should investigate another pair of careers that I have, which I am wondering if they were made the same way (since originally there was just one, and the second version was made by request), and the creator didn't expect that anyone would want to use both in their game (but I do). Sometime when it's not 2am I'll see if I have the same trouble with those. (They're the Preacher and Paster/ChurchWorker pair.)
Instructor
#39 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 7:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by akatonbo
Hey, I saw that Pescado had released a Monday morning bugfix, so I stayed up late to do another round of testing -- I didn't really think it was exactly the same problem, but, not knowing how Pescado wrote his fix, I figured there was always a chance that it might help, since the symptoms are the same even if the root cause is likely different. Unfortunately, I haven't got good news.

Thanks for the continuing help, akatonbo! I saw that fix, and I also noticed that several people reported it wasn't working reliably for them (this was a couple days ago now.) Pescado thought if it didn't work, then there might be some seriously bolluxed up code in the base game that he didn't even want to mess with...

So, it may very well not be the same problem, and if it is, it may be something that's currently unfixable. *Le sigh* Guess we'll just have to keep looking into it! At least there haven't been any new reports of the bug in a while now...
Instructor
#40 Old 11th Dec 2005 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AmberDiceless
Thanks for the continuing help, akatonbo! I saw that fix, and I also noticed that several people reported it wasn't working reliably for them (this was a couple days ago now.) Pescado thought if it didn't work, then there might be some seriously bolluxed up code in the base game that he didn't even want to mess with...

So, it may very well not be the same problem, and if it is, it may be something that's currently unfixable. *Le sigh* Guess we'll just have to keep looking into it! At least there haven't been any new reports of the bug in a while now...

Well, by the time I got to the bugfix yesterday, it was already modified from the original version and there was a note to the effect that he thought he had it now. The thread over there doesn't have many comments on it, though. Ah well. I have no idea how he wrote it anyway -- if it's meant to zero in on overnight shifts, which it may very well be, it wouldn't help at all.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#41 Old 15th Dec 2005 at 8:53 AM
The bug was finally tracked down to be a wonky behavior in the modulus function. Apparently, the mathematics of ANSI C modulus (%) are undefined if any of the values are negative, and the resulting error that was produced is basically caused by feeding negative values to the function. It's all very mathy and messy and rooted at a very low(lower than even TS2!) level of code. It had now been bypassed.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Instructor
#42 Old 15th Dec 2005 at 9:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
The bug was finally tracked down to be a wonky behavior in the modulus function. Apparently, the mathematics of ANSI C modulus (%) are undefined if any of the values are negative, and the resulting error that was produced is basically caused by feeding negative values to the function. It's all very mathy and messy and rooted at a very low(lower than even TS2!) level of code. It had now been bypassed.

Thanks so much for the info! Do you think this could have caused the problem with my custom careers as well as the Monday-morning vacation days glitch, or are we looking for something else?
Test Subject
#43 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 7:24 AM
Just to put my two cents :2cents: in but probably won't be of much help:

- I put the angel career into downloads\careers\angel career and started the game. Got my angel the job using Merola's painting, saved, quit then put the demon career into downloads\demon career. Started the game and got my she-devil the demon job using Merola's painting. The day I got them the job was a work day however it was 5pm so they didn't need to go. The next day was a day off.
- On their day off they both got the message that they had the day off (an hour apart of course). However 2-3 hours later they got a message during a little at-home date they we're having that they'd missed work (the messages once again of course, being an hour apart).
- Their first day at work, they go to work, their stats virtually maxed and the job requirements fulfilled however no promo when they come home and their job performance is still on halfway - unchanged.

I know most people have just had a problem with one of the careers but in this case the problem occurred with both. :confused: :banghead: As I said, I don't know how much help this info is but on the off chance it does some good.... :salute:

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·` Booyah baby!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 5th Jan 2006 at 2:45 PM
Basically.. I posted two post son the actual job. Here they are:

1.I understand this is maybe not working now? I've read the posts briefly.. and I can understand it's some kind of glitch in the game.. Hopefully if I fiddle it may work with mine. I had the problem with the days off, but got by because my sim had like, 3 kids and I saved up the days of paid vacation which can be used in that situation.. I had two demons working on it but I haven't tried the angel one yet.

It's a great career, I downloaded it ages ago and only started using it, and now I wish I could have used it more often.

Well.. I hope by replacing the files it will fix my game, if not I'll try your theories and see which works for me I guess. I just hope it doesn't get rid of the demon jobs I already have?

2.Hmm, I replaced, and played, and it didn't work. I replaced again, and separated folders and my female.. it worked for her, not him.. whether it's just because she got a promotion and it updated? Or it's just a day that's odd.. who knows. I'll play some more tonight and fiddle.

Does anyone else still have the problem? I feel I'm father late at posting. I only downloaded in November and didn't play it til a couple of days ago. x]

Now.. I played it last night.. and my FEMALE sim is fine.. but my MALE sim it kept happening, and he got fired. This was without the angel career.. I put it back in and I'll test it with a teen now.. Hm, my mum chucked me off before I could get either a job. I'll get my MALE an angel job, and my two teens a demon and male and see what happens probably tonight. Then I'll repost..

Garden of Shadows; for your goth side.
Test Subject
#45 Old 7th Jan 2006 at 9:29 PM
I had the problem with work days off too, with both careers. I thought I'd mention, since no one else has, that it doesn't seem to be working properly with NL cars either. Usually you can (if you own a car) drive to work up to an hour late without a work-performance penalty. These custom careers give the "missed-day" warning and performance penalty at exactly the starting time. (This made it actually a disadvantage to have a car, as it takes longer to get into a car, pull out, and drive than to get in a carpool.)
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#46 Old 12th Jan 2006 at 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Thaliasama
I had the problem with work days off too, with both careers. I thought I'd mention, since no one else has, that it doesn't seem to be working properly with NL cars either. Usually you can (if you own a car) drive to work up to an hour late without a work-performance penalty. These custom careers give the "missed-day" warning and performance penalty at exactly the starting time. (This made it actually a disadvantage to have a car, as it takes longer to get into a car, pull out, and drive than to get in a carpool.)

It's possible that these "custom careers" unwisely cloned old semiglobal main codes and are invoking those instead of using the new expansion pack codes. As a result, those careers are exhibiting pre-expansion behaviors.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Instructor
#47 Old 20th Jan 2006 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by J. M. Pescado
It's possible that these "custom careers" unwisely cloned old semiglobal main codes and are invoking those instead of using the new expansion pack codes. As a result, those careers are exhibiting pre-expansion behaviors.

Don't suppose it's possible to fix this in a way that would still allow the careers to be used with the original game?
Instructor
#48 Old 22nd Jan 2006 at 12:44 AM
Whew. Well, thought you guys would like to know, I just finished uploading two completely new versions of the Angel and Demon careers at the original thread. Rebuilt 'em from the ground up on two different EP1 career bases and added a new Chance Card to each one.

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=100095

Hopefully, these won't have the days-off glitch or any new bugs of their own! *Crosses fingers!*
Field Researcher
#49 Old 22nd Jan 2006 at 6:20 PM
Wow, I'll test them out tonight and let you know in the next couple of days.

Garden of Shadows; for your goth side.
Instructor
#50 Old 23rd Jan 2006 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vicci
Wow, I'll test them out tonight and let you know in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Vicci! Please note, the versions that I uploaded on or about the 21st were overwriting the Business and Athletics careers due to an error involving their Group ID's. Corrected versions have now been posted.
Page 2 of 3