Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 4:49 AM Last edited by Eriksrocks : 20th Mar 2005 at 12:13 PM.
My success story:
Ok, well.... my new object is kind of lame, but here it is:
http://www.modthesims2.com/attachme...achmentid=44091
It is supposed to be a model of StoneHedge.....

What do you think?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 10:17 AM
Default .....
why was there an error in MTS2 Mesh Tool, "run-time error, subscript out of range"

I'm using latest Mesh Tool and Wings 3d.....

here's my file:
Attached files:
File Type: zip  ultimachair.zip (4.1 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 10:32 AM
Default Great work
Quote: Originally posted by Eriksrocks
My success story:
Ok, well.... my new object is kind of lame, but here it is:

What do you think?

I really like youre work here, the only thing is, that it is too smoothe, stones are rugh (a very bad speller I am - sorry )

But GREAT WORK! I must say
How long did this mesh-model take you, to make ?

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 10:51 AM
good afternoon everybody.

Can someone help be with by mesh file, by taking a look at the file ?
( because it is probably me that is making a silly mistake )

WindBlower
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Mesh_WBGown_pack.zip (220.7 KB, 31 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Modife_folder_files.zip (446.9 KB, 24 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ultimatum
why was there an error in MTS2 Mesh Tool, "run-time error, subscript out of range"

I'm using latest Mesh Tool and Wings 3d.....

here's my file:

Do you have UV(W) Coordinates on your mesh? If not, that is why you are getting that error. You will need to add some.
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:15 PM
Eriksrocks do you know what's worng with my mesh jet? if so what do i need to do to fix it?

no ears
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WindBlower
I really like youre work here, the only thing is, that it is too smoothe, stones are rugh (a very bad speller I am - sorry )

But GREAT WORK! I must say
How long did this mesh-model take you, to make ?

WindBlower

Thanks for your input. As far as the smooth problem, I don't think that can be avioded - the model is smooth, I think that it's just so small in-game that it gets kind of "blended." It really doesn't matter to me though because I was aiming for a plastic look (after all, it is a *model*).

And here's the secret..... I suck at modelling, so I got the model at 3DCafe and edited it. So I guess you could say that I made part of it. :p
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:19 PM Last edited by Eriksrocks : 20th Mar 2005 at 12:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by dean de beste
Eriksrocks do you know what's worng with my mesh jet? if so what do i need to do to fix it?

Ok, there is a reason your mesh isn't showing up in the game. I tried to open it in my 3D editor, and it crashed the application. It also crashes the SimPE Preview. It might be *corrupted* or something, but I'm really not sure. I would ask some one who knows more about modelling what's going on. :p

If you are wondering what to do now, you should remake your mesh - and don't add or do anything unusual to it. See if it will work with the SimPE Preview. If it does, it should be ok. If it doesn't, it might be your 3D editor that is making these *corrupted files*.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:37 PM
Hi everybody out there

I am having one problem with my 'new-created' mesh,

when using the toturial, I can't get it to show me my edited mesh -(and not the original mesh)

I am using SimPE newest meshTool and Milkshape.

Please can anybody help me with this problem ?

windBlower

Sorry for taking so long, but I don't really get what you're saying. Could you explain it a bit differently?
Lab Assistant
#35 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:46 PM
Ok, there is a reason your mesh isn't showing up in the game. I tried to open it in my 3D editor, and it crashed the application. It also crashes the SimPE Preview. It might be *corrupted* or something, but I'm really not sure. I would ask some one who knows more about modelling what's going on. :p

If you are wondering what to do now, you should remake your mesh - and don't add or do anything unusual to it. See if it will work with the SimPE Preview. If it does, it should be ok. If it doesn't, it might be your 3D editor that is making these *corrupted files*.

oke will do . and i'll report back

no ears
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 12:46 PM
Default Hi
Sorry for taking so long, but I don't really get what you're saying. Could you explain it a bit differently?

Sorry about that, here is what I am trying to say is -
I've added my files as zip files to another msg, further up.
But I can't get my mesh (the gown, thats used in the Brianna toturial)
to Work.
I don't know what I am doing wrong ? I've been trying different combinations in the MeshTool program 'settings' (meaning: the options in MeshTool, I've tryed them all)

If you can I would be VERY greatfull if you could take a look at my files(zip) which is atached files to another Msg I made in this thread ?

WindBlower
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 2:40 PM
Sorry about that, here is what I am trying to say is -
I've added my files as zip files to another msg, further up.
But I can't get my mesh (the gown, thats used in the Brianna toturial)
to Work.
I don't know what I am doing wrong ? I've been trying different combinations in the MeshTool program 'settings' (meaning: the options in MeshTool, I've tryed them all)

If you can I would be VERY greatfull if you could take a look at my files(zip) which is atached files to another Msg I made in this thread ?

WindBlower

I hate to say this, but I really cannot help here.
You probably know more than me when it comes to clothing.

So here is my best shot:

So you're saying that the new mesh you want is not replacing the old mesh?

If so, with my knowledge, I would guess it is a GMDC or SHPE problem maybe? I just really have no clue. :confused:
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 5:53 PM
thanks Eriksrocks.

Well I have fixed the replacing-thingie
But now my problem is the famous Exploding Mesh.
But Thanks for your responce

WindBlower
Field Researcher
#39 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 8:44 PM Last edited by Mage : 20th Mar 2005 at 8:48 PM.
This looks like the place to ask these questions, I haven't found them any where else.

First, I can't seem to get shadows at all on my new mesh objects. I've tried leaving them as they were in the original object and also changing them.

And here's my brand new problem. I just made a piece of wall art that looked great at first but when I tried to move it, in buy mode, the curser did not change to the hand when I got over the object and the eyedropper tool also refuses to recognize it. Can't move it can't delete it. Does anyone know what is going on? I'm enclosing the file in case any amzingly kind person wants to check it out for me.

Thanks in advance for any help I get.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  wall art object.zip (161.8 KB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#40 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 8:46 PM
My success story:

What do you think?

I love it. It's really cool :clap:
Test Subject
#41 Old 21st Mar 2005 at 1:06 AM
Do you have UV(W) Coordinates on your mesh? If not, that is why you are getting that error. You will need to add some.

What's that? Sorry.....
Test Subject
#42 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 2:55 PM
Default Really dumb question about Mesh Tool....
but what file or program do you extract the Mesh Tool files to? I'm lost. I have a feeling it should be Body shop but I want to be absolutely certain before I start. Plz respond.

~Kieli :D
Field Researcher
#43 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 4:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by periodicstorm
but what file or program do you extract the Mesh Tool files to? I'm lost. I have a feeling it should be Body shop but I want to be absolutely certain before I start. Plz respond.

~Kieli :D

Read this thread http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=43092

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Field Researcher
#44 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 5:06 PM
Well I have fixed the replacing-thingie
But now my problem is the famous Exploding Mesh.

You can't use 3D Studio Max to make body meshes, or at least not as far as I know, if you're editing your body meshes in Max it will result in the exploding mesh. Milkshape and Maya both seem to be fine for editing body meshes.

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Test Subject
#45 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 7:10 PM
Well I thought I solved my problem, but alas, not all is well.

I've made a new bedframe. Before I had the problem of not being able to recolor the frame. I solved that problem, but now I have a new problem. It seems that either get all of the Maxis bedding as well as my recolors from other things, or only the ones that I've made for this bedframe.

Here's what I've done... I renamed the bedframe group so that not all Maxis color options would show up for the frame (they'd look silly), but I didn't rename the bedding group(s). Then I renamed it back to default after importing to enable the color options for it. I imported new textures for both the frame and bedding.

I did a recolor of the new mesh, and it shows up just fine. But once again, only the textures I imported with the mesh, and the ones for the recolor are showing up. Of course I don't want the default bedframe options to show up, but I do want the bedding to. I want people to be able to use all the beddings they've downloaded with these new beds too.

One more thing... the two new beddings that show up for the new bedframes don't show up for any other bed either.
#46 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 7:36 PM Last edited by mtnpapa : 22nd Mar 2005 at 7:51 PM.

I am getting the same error as Ultimatum using wings 3D. I can create a mesh fine with only one part but if my mesh has multiple parts the mesh tool fails. As far as I know, I have created UV coordinates for each part. How can I tell if they are all in the .obj file?

-- update
I have tested with some simple shapes, and I get a different error if I don't run through the UV Mapping process. I don't know if it has anything to do with UV Mapping or not, but it seems there is an incompatibilty in the obj output from Wings 3D and the expected format of the Mesh tool.

I did notice that (without the UV Mapping) the Mesh tool thinks I have one more object than it should - maybe this is the key?

Can anyone point me to where I can get more information on what the obj file should look like?

PS - If you need to find out how to do UV Mapping in Wings 3D (I have no clue what it means) check out the tutorials for using Wings3D for The Sims2 at Artistic Habitats (grandma's tutorials - it's listed in the SimPE tutorial list).
Test Subject
#47 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 7:50 PM
Thank you so much! :yippee:
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mtnpapa
I am getting the same error as Ultimatum using wings 3D. I can create a mesh fine with only one part but if my mesh has multiple parts the mesh tool fails. As far as I know, I have created UV coordinates for each part. How can I tell if they are all in the .obj file?

-- update
I have tested with some simple shapes, and I get a different error if I don't run through the UV Mapping process. I don't know if it has anything to do with UV Mapping or not, but it seems there is an incompatibilty in the obj output from Wings 3D and the expected format of the Mesh tool.

I did notice that (without the UV Mapping) the Mesh tool thinks I have one more object than it should - maybe this is the key?

Can anyone point me to where I can get more information on what the obj file should look like?

PS - If you need to find out how to do UV Mapping in Wings 3D (I have no clue what it means) check out the tutorials for using Wings3D for The Sims2 at Artistic Habitats (grandma's tutorials - it's listed in the SimPE tutorial list).

Got this all covered. This is a small bug that is in Wings 3D. When you UV map inside of Wings, it creates a UV map that is "out of range." That is what the error in the Mesh Tool is basically telling you. To correct this, see below.

When you don't apply any UV coordinates, you will get a different error from the Mesh Tool. It will essentially tell you "You don't have any UV coords."

There is no problem with the compatibility of the meshes Wings creates, it's just the UV maps that are the problem.

Remember that UV coords are required for your object/mesh to work in the game.

Fixing the problem

You could just go and get another 3D editor, but there is a better way.

Get UVMapper (The free "classic" version is all you need). UV Mapper is a program that will let you add a UV map to your objects, but it is also handy because it can correct the errors that Wings creates.

First, open up UVMapper and then load your object by going to File > Load Model. It SHOULD give you a message that your UV coords are "out of range" and will ask you if you want to correct this. Click yes. It will correct the UV map (though you won't be able to tell). Then go to File > Save Model. Leave the defaults, and click OK. You can then create a new file or overwrite the original.

After you have fixed it, put the file through the Mesh Tool like you normally would.

----------------------------------------------

I hope this helps and remind me if I forgot anything.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ultimatum
What's that? Sorry.....

UV (sometimes called UVW) coordinates are coordinates that tell the game and any 3D editor/viewer/etc. how to "map" or apply the texture to the actual shape. Most 3D editors have some way to UV map your object built in, but if you can't find one in your 3D editor, the one in Wings 3D is very easy to use. The only problem is it exports faulty UV maps, but that can be corrected (see above post).

For more info, read my post above and feel free to ask more questions.
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 22nd Mar 2005 at 9:09 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that UVMapper also has a Export .bmp function which allows you to export a image of the UV map so that you can make your texture more effectively. In fact, it helps a lot if your object's texture is not a plain color or pattern. :D
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: one meshtool thread is plenty
Page 2 of 11