Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
#101 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 9:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jaycephus
Regarding Milkshape:

From the clothing tutorial thread, it looks like Milkshape is rebuilding the vertex normals properly, even if they are not present. 'cdelang' used ZBrush to model, and Milkshape to process the .obj from ZBrush, and the output looks great in-game:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...5321#post325321

So all I can say is I gotta get me some of that. $30 dollars is worth it for decent file conversion alone, even if that is all it is good for.

On the other hand, .smd import and export in ModTool and full XSI is done in .dlls, so no easy tweaking of a script for that. There is still the possibility of processing the .smd output from XSI with a helper utility or a plug-in to make it work properly in TS2.

You go here: http://www.tb-software.com/

You download 3dWin5. Problems solved.

Brasstex
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#102 Old 25th Mar 2005 at 11:35 PM
Thanks, Brasstex,

I'm checking it out.

I learned that Milkshape is not so great as I thought it might be. It actually deletes vertices and normals from an original SimPE .obj, but it does appear to keep all the faces in the right places. So it might actually be making a BETTER .obj file (smaller, faster mesh) out of what was exported from SimPE, but I don't like the fact that it does it behind the scenes. The really bad thing is that it really doesn't 'fix' .obj files that have had their normals stripped out by a program like ZBrush or Silo. What Milkshape does is create a dummy vertex normal definition, "vn 0 0 0" and then makes all the face definitions reference this normal. That is good enough for the Mesh Tool to accept the .obj, and then you have to set up the Mesh Tool to only import the vertex information into a new GMDC. (It uses the 'original GMDC' for all the other information.) This is an OK solution for light mesh editing, but the more extreme edits will have rendering problems if the original normals aren't suitable for the new vertex positions.

Mabelline,

Somewhere on Softimage Netview, there is a .vbs script that will export an .obj from XSI. I'm thinking that they disabled XSI ModTool from running certain things but not others. I want to see if it can run scripts downloaded from Softimage. If it can't, then any script I make would be useless for ModTool users. If you can't find the OBJ exporter script, you could try any script, or open the script editor and try to run a script directly from it. I mainly just want to know if you can run user-created scripts. I found an SDK viewer in XSI that lets me pick elements of a scene, such as the Texture and user Normals, and it shows all kinds of information using the XSI object model (SDK). You can view its source code to see how to create your own scripts to access the same information. This should make it pretty easy to write a custom OBJ exporter.

Thanks,

- Jay
Lab Assistant
#103 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 4:18 AM
I wonder what they mean by factory add-ons or plugins. Actually some of them (including obj convertor and import obj sequence) are written by users. Are the add-ons or plugins available on the XSI net belonged to 'factory'? I also tried a plugin called import obj sequence. It is a xsiaddon file so I installed it by choosing addon>install then a window with a button poped up(see pic)

Also I tried a vbs script 'milkshape import' but it cannot be installed.

Btw, I will check other plugins available on other site later.
Test Subject
#104 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 5:02 AM
I have a small question.

My object works and everything...no blue or yadayadayada....but my shadow is a tad big. Its because the shadow material was stretched, as shown below. How do I get the texture to fit properly?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  customchairv6.zip (80.8 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content

www.thesimszone.com
"Unless people are educated, they will be susceptible to the propaganda of jehadi forces. Illiteracy is a fertile soul for the growth of fundamentalism"
Lab Assistant
#105 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spitze
I have a small question.

My object works and everything...no blue or yadayadayada....but my shadow is a tad big. Its because the shadow material was stretched, as shown below. How do I get the texture to fit properly?

Huh. Odd. I tried resizing and messing with the texture, but it still seems to map it too big. Actually, I made it as small as possible, but it still showed up big. My guess is it's the UV mapping that is applying the texture too big. Try re-UV mapping it.
Test Subject
#106 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 8:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eriksrocks
Don't use UVMapper to map your object. Just use Wings 3D. The only time when you should use Wings 3D is when you get the "Out of range" problem. As far as some tips for Wings:
-> You must have more than 1 "chart" or color on your map
-> When trying the automated "projection" or "unfold" methods, you can't have anything selected

Hope this helps!

So what your saying is that im getting the error in wings because i selected too much when maping? So should i map the table top as one part, the top section of the legs, and then the bottom section of the legs, all as seperate parts? or is that too many parts? I don't have a shadow or anything in with the table.

1 more thing:
I get this error on the Mesh Tool : Run-time error '9': subscript out of range. What does this mean? (this is happening to a lamp i made) At this rate the only think i'll be able to make is a really ugly table, that i already made...
Test Subject
#107 Old 26th Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Eriksrocks
Huh. Odd. I tried resizing and messing with the texture, but it still seems to map it too big. Actually, I made it as small as possible, but it still showed up big. My guess is it's the UV mapping that is applying the texture too big. Try re-UV mapping it.

THANKS!!!! Its perfect!! Yay!!!

You rock!

www.thesimszone.com
"Unless people are educated, they will be susceptible to the propaganda of jehadi forces. Illiteracy is a fertile soul for the growth of fundamentalism"
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 5:40 AM
Jay,so far I have tested 2 types of format of plugins for xsi- xsiaddon & vbs in mod tool. Here are my conclusions:

For xsiaddon, only the ones(including the game add-on) available on the web page of the official download of mod tool function well while other xsiaddon I tested cannot even if they can be installed. In addition, the installation of xsiaddon of the obj converter has already installed its vbs scripts as well but it doesn't work. That means mod tool cannot run vbs scripts installed in this way.

For stand-alone vbs scripts, no matter where I downloaded them from, nothing changed after I load them in plugin manager. See the screenshot.

There is something I am not sure. Did I place the vbs scripts in the wrong place?

If you have any other ideas that can help mod tool users, plz tell us. Thank you for your help.
Test Subject
#109 Old 27th Mar 2005 at 10:20 AM
Anyone know why this is happening?
(im talking about the black blur on the bottom)

I know its a shadow but i adjusted the shadow (north,east,west,bottom)
away from the object by physically editing the obj file. So what do i do now? If it helps, it was the locker room lockers from the EP.

- Answer to my other problems -
I think i may have figured out how to get thoes objects i made into the game. As we know Wings can give you a bad obj file so i stick them into milkshape then export them again, it seems to fix them but no idea on the actual objects i had the problems with.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 8:47 PM Last edited by Eriksrocks : 28th Mar 2005 at 8:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by skinner
So what your saying is that im getting the error in wings because i selected too much when maping? So should i map the table top as one part, the top section of the legs, and then the bottom section of the legs, all as seperate parts? or is that too many parts? I don't have a shadow or anything in with the table.

1 more thing:
I get this error on the Mesh Tool : Run-time error '9': subscript out of range. What does this mean? (this is happening to a lamp i made) At this rate the only think i'll be able to make is a really ugly table, that i already made...

Nevermind about what I said earlier about the "you can't have anything selected" thing. I was wrong about that. :argh:

For the "out of range" error, see my post here:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...ed=1#post321494

Hope this helps!
Lab Assistant
#111 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 8:51 PM
Also, I don't see any image in your last post. :p
Lab Assistant
#112 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 5:49 AM
hey i have made a new mesh and it's partly inviable can some one help here's a pic and the file . and it's also the wrong way rond i think. please help me it soposed to be a seate..http://forums.modthesims2.com/attac...tid=47017&stc=1
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  deandebeste_seate03.rar (58.1 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content

no ears
Lab Assistant
#113 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 3:39 PM
I'm very close to having a script in XSI that exports an ideal TS2 .obj or .smd file from XSI, i.e., one normal and UV coordinate per vertex instead of three of each per poly. Unfortunately, it appears that ModTool users will not be able to benefit from this, which severely limits the usefulness of ModTool for modding, ironically.

Once I have completed this for my own use (and other XSI users, if there are any), I think I can write a helper app with .NET that will create the correct normal and UV data from a .obj or .smd file that has the typical data generated by most 3D apps, OR that has had the normal data stripped out completely. This can be done simply by re-calculating the normals, and then 'averaging' the multiple normals per point into one normal per point. Also, any boundary vertex that is co-incident with another vertex can have its normal averaged with the other vertex's normal, resulting in smooth rendering across boundaries. Basically, this means that the proper normal data for a modified clothing mesh could be imported back into TS2.

- Jay
Field Researcher
#114 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dean de beste
hey i have made a new mesh and it's partly inviable can some one help here's a pic and the file . and it's also the wrong way rond i think. please help me it soposed to be a seate..

It looks like you need to rotate it to face the right way and I think part of it is invisible because it is going through the legs of the sim.

~faeriegurl~
Sims 2 Creations - http://www.sims2creations.com

faerie's blog - http://spaces.msn.com/members/enchantedrealm/
Lab Assistant
#115 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by faeriegurl
It looks like you need to rotate it to face the right way and I think part of it is invisible because it is going through the legs of the sim.

no i don't think it has to dO whit that becose i made a nother mesh and the sim's legs were gonig strait thrue it and it was perficaly fine all that was wrong thet the sim's leg's poded thrue but that i think has nothing to do with the mesh beenig visable

no ears
Field Researcher
#116 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 4:40 PM
I need help! I have created a frame for a bed and I want to import it back into the gmdc that has the bedding in it so it is recolourable, but without destroying the animations. How can I do this and can someone run me through the steps?
Field Researcher
#117 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 4:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TheSims2Master
I need help! I have created a frame for a bed and I want to import it back into the gmdc that has the bedding in it so it is recolourable, but without destroying the animations. How can I do this and can someone run me through the steps?

Here's the tutorial that SimFreaks wrote that solved this for me.
http://www.simfreaks2.com/tutorials...ame_import.html
But after it was written we realized that if you want all the bedding options you have to clone any bed *but* the Colonial Ironwood. That's because the other beds refer to it for the bedding. If you make your clone from it the clone will refer only to itself.
Here's the one I made
New Bed
Test Subject
#118 Old 6th Apr 2005 at 3:24 AM
Hello, I'm moving this from the Version 0.9.46 Thread, so keep in mind that I'm using the newer version of the Mesh Tool. But it doesn't look like anyone's answering questions for that thread, so I thought I'd try it here, if that's okay.

Anyway, I'm trying to replace the frame mesh of sunglasses with a mesh for horns. The mesh I'm using was already altered to be earrings, so I know it's (theoretically) possible to alter this gmdc.

However, whenever I export a gmdc and try to replace it with mine, SimPE freaks out and throws exceptions. I'm wondering if this is because the glasses has a "frame" and "lens" entry in Objects box (of the Mesh Tool). Is there something special I have to do to get this to work? Let me know if you need to see any files or if my description is unclear. Also, I'm using Milkshape to edit the .smd if that helps.

Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#119 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 11:19 AM Last edited by Windaira : 9th Apr 2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Last image wasn't showing
Ok, I skimmed the last thread and this one, didn't see this issue with anyone else yet, so here I am. :umm: I hate to be a bother, and I tend to try to figure things out for myself before ever asking for help, but this one has thrown me. I have done everything so far up to importing my new mesh. I just can't seem to import it cause I can't see the window... I keep getting this:

Figure it out, place the file in..

Figured it out, checked the top box

Here is where nothing happens. I tried to type and hit next, the box then disappears and nothing happens

What did I do, or not do? Could it be cause the mesh I exported has less models then the mesh I am placing in?

Thanks in advance on any help you can give me!

*** EDITED ***

Ok, I fixed the blackout issue! I downloaded the updated version HERE & now I can see the windows. Except the 3rd one is still goofed a bit (no big deal really)

But still after the 3rd window, the other window doesn't open to create a name to actually make the file it's supose to. It just closes and nothing more happens.

Help please?
Lab Assistant
#120 Old 9th Apr 2005 at 6:34 PM
Well apparently it has to do something with the models, I went back into Milkshape, merged all the models with the same textures together lowering the count from 12 to 5 and it then created the file I needed.

So guess that issue was fixed, now I am trying to figure out how to apply these textures ....
#121 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 4:04 PM
Problem with Mesh
Hi there! :werd:

What do you think might have happened here. I already altered a few meshes before with success. But then this accident happened. I just altered the look of this mesh. I did not delete verticles. How can something like this happen?
I have an assumption. I made the alterations with 3D Studio and Maya. Maybe I used the wrong import/export settings... Could that be the problem?

Lab Assistant
#122 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 8:09 PM
apparently the vertex order has been modified.
Lab Assistant
#123 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 6:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dean de beste
hey i have made a new mesh and it's partly inviable can some one help here's a pic and the file . and it's also the wrong way rond i think. please help me it soposed to be a seate..

what about mine what's wrong with mine?

no ears
Lab Assistant
#124 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 8:16 AM Last edited by jfreddog : 11th Apr 2005 at 8:26 AM.
Default Wich 3D ID should I replace?
I am trying to modify a body mesh, but when it comes to the part Were I should replace the 3D ID referencing file (put a new resorce node and shape) I don't know Wich 3D ID should I replace! In the BriAnna's tutorial there's only one of them (I think it is because it's a dress) but in the body files there is about 50! Wich one should I pick? I looked at the correspoding texture of the mesh I want to replace but I could not find any reference to it's corresponding 3D ID file!
Anyway, I think that's what's making my mesh to show up correctly in the Mesh Tool preview but not to show up in the bodyshop.
Should I replace (the shape and resource node) in all 3D ID files? Will that screw things up? :confused:
Can anyone help me???
Test Subject
#125 Old 11th Apr 2005 at 5:45 PM
i am opening a mesh in the mesh tool that was made in maya. there are 524 verts, 624 edges, 260 faces and 260 tris. can anyone tell me why i get this error "run-time error 9 subscript out of range. if the issue is because there are to many faces for it to cope with then is it possible to make the tool able to handle mutch larger numbers. also i talked to maxoidtom and he told me than when they model they use polygons, NURBS and sub-division surfaces. is it possible to add these to the suported types other than polygons. he said that we make the game see them as polygons. i think we need to expand. also when is the next version of the mesh tool going to be uploaded. could you add a feature for maya like what you did with 3d studio max
Locked thread | Locked by: tiggerypum Reason: one meshtool thread is plenty
Page 5 of 11