Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Maxis' "Lost & Found" #2: The Stainless Barbecue

by Numenor Posted 14th Dec 2004 at 6:35 PM - Updated 23rd Oct 2008 at 5:28 PM by -Maylin-

30 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 28 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 6:43 PM
Are these really 'abandoned' textures or are they in there for use with future expansions and releases? Maybe they just 'disabled' some things so that when an expansion was added these textures would look like new additions, saving themselves some extra work in the future maybe. Just a thought?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 6:44 PM
thx in my re-colored objects subfolder in my downloads folder!.
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 7:02 PM
Thanks for this.

Why is it that you can have a subfolder for objects but not clothing?
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 7:05 PM
i found out that you can have mutiples subfolder with whatever name you want under "My Documents\EA Games\The Sim\" to place .package files. no matter if they are skins, hacks or objects
Field Researcher
#6 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 7:06 PM
it was the same in TS1 as well *shrugs* Skins have never worked in subfolders
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Braveheart
Are these really 'abandoned' textures or are they in there for use with future expansions and releases? Maybe they just 'disabled' some things so that when an expansion was added these textures would look like new additions, saving themselves some extra work in the future maybe. Just a thought?

No, I don't think these textures are there for future use; maybe this barbecue is OK, but the floral decor for the modern sofa (few threads ago) is awful, to me: the decor (well done, btw) it's too classical to match such a modern furniture.
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 10:13 PM
ATTN lino21 - how do you do your subfolders?
Field Researcher
#9 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 10:19 PM
you make a new file on your desktop and call it re-colored objects (or anthing you like that's easy to remember)then place it in mydocs, Ea Games, Sims2 downloads folder and drag or direct the desired file into it!. it's that easy!.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 11:20 PM
Thanks for finding it, it really does look really good, its my favorite one now :buddies:
Instructor
#11 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 7:07 AM
Default "reflectivity"
Do you mean that one can see their reflections in it?
I placed it in my game, and it was a tanish color with no reflections. :bag:

"S"
V^^^^V
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 10:40 AM
i dont think it is reflective. i think it is just shiny just like the metal bed, am i right?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 11:13 AM
I thought you couldn't have subfolders? I think I read somewhere that if you have subfolders the package files don't show up in game? Could someone please clarify this for me.. cause I'm an organisation FREAK and I've been so down that I couldn't sort my download folders! Now someone here says I can!!!!???? I've so many downloads now, it will be a nightmare to sort out if it is the case that I can use subfolders.. but I'd still like to know if it is possible. If it is true.. is there anyway to see which files are objects, skins, genetics etc to sort it out?? Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 11:16 AM
It's just grey in my game. No reflections at all.
Test Subject
#15 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 12:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cleverbean
I thought you couldn't have subfolders? I think I read somewhere that if you have subfolders the package files don't show up in game? Could someone please clarify this for me.. cause I'm an organisation FREAK and I've been so down that I couldn't sort my download folders! Now someone here says I can!!!!???? I've so many downloads now, it will be a nightmare to sort out if it is the case that I can use subfolders.. but I'd still like to know if it is possible. If it is true.. is there anyway to see which files are objects, skins, genetics etc to sort it out?? Thanks!

people said you can have subfolder in the downloads folder to put objects and hacks files. but not skins.

What i found out, is that you can have others folders besides the downloads folder to put the files you want. but it has to be a folder directly below the My Douments/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder.

So, besides the downloads folder, i have a hacks folder, and a skins folder :wtf2:
Field Researcher
#16 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 2:05 PM
I'm sorry.. I'm not really that computer literate and it's really late now here in Brissy. Does this mean that I can create folders eg:

My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Object Downloads
and
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Skin Downloads

and so forth... and have these downloaded packaged files work in game?

Also, does anyone know whether there is a quicker way to sort what I have in the downloads folder to separate the skins, genetics, objects and hacks without deleting the whole folder and redownloading it all back into the appropriate folders? Please help..

Thank you.
Test Subject
#17 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 4:09 PM
yes basically that. i dont know though if it will work with the space in the folder's name. maybe you should name your folders just like:
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Objects
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Skins
My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Hacks

i think the only way to know what a package file is, is to view it in SimPe.

But i can think of something: make a backup copy of the dowloads folder.
then, go into the game and from there, delete all custom skins and custom objects.
get out of the game and you will have only hacks in the downloads folder, so now move them to the hacks folder. Since now you know what are the hacks files, and already have them in the hack folder, you can delete the files with the same name in the backup folder you created. so in the backup folder will remain only the skins and the objects.

now copy the backup folder to the downloads folder again, go into the game, and delete all the custom objects. this will leave only skins in the downloads folder, so you can move them to the skins folder now.

Now that you know wich of the files are the skins files, and have copied them to the skins folder, delete the ones with the same name from the backup folder, and the ramaining files in there will be the objects files.
Test Subject
#18 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 5:24 PM
No reflections here either and I have everything set to high. Also the cover appears plain grey.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Dec 2004 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lino21
i dont think it is reflective. i think it is just shiny just like the metal bed, am i right?

You're right. I talked about "reflection" because that's the name of the MMAT parameters related to how much shiny the material should look. The material reflects only the ambience light but not sims' faces...!
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 12:05 AM
Ah, yes but mirrors do. Am I right in thinking they are just treated textures. I haven’t looked at re-colouring any mirrors yet, but am I right in thinking that the texture for those triangles (polys, whatever) would be all white, or black possibly, and an process of some sort supplants it with an image of it’s current surroundings.

I’m just guessing really but this thread put an idea into my head I hadn’t thought of. I’m thinking that it could, and should, be possible to be able to make other surfaces mirrored. Possibly even semi reflective.

Suppose the all white section was grey, would it show a faded reflection? Could colour be added so shiny fridges could be created?

Couldn’t have too many reflective objects as they probably eat up performance if you have too many, and some computers can’t enable the mirrors. But for those who can, an interesting train of thought yes?
Test Subject
#21 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 12:32 AM
This looks fantastic in my game. Thanks.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mighty__Gazelle
Am I right in thinking they are just treated textures. I haven’t looked at re-colouring any mirrors yet, but am I right in thinking that the texture for those triangles (polys, whatever) would be all white, or black possibly, and an process of some sort supplants it with an image of it’s current surroundings.

I haven't investigated this subject so far. I just took a brief look but I couldn't find any objects related to mirrors, apart from the frames. In theory, I think it should be possible to apply a real reflective surface to an object.
Instructor
#23 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 1:03 AM
That would look so cool having a "chrome" B-B-Q.

"S"
V^^^^V

Quote: Originally posted by numenor
I haven't investigated this subject so far. I just took a brief look but I couldn't find any objects related to mirrors, apart from the frames. In theory, I think it should be possible to apply a real reflective surface to an object.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 16th Dec 2004 at 1:11 AM
Thank you Lino21 for all your help.. I'll be taking your advice and fixing my files up! Now I can appease my need to sort and control!! Thanks.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 17th Dec 2004 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lino21
people said you can have subfolder in the downloads folder to put objects and hacks files. but not skins.

What i found out, is that you can have others folders besides the downloads folder to put the files you want. but it has to be a folder directly below the My Douments/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder.

So, besides the downloads folder, i have a hacks folder, and a skins folder :wtf2:

Thanks lino for all your advice however as you mentioned in this post, I could put subfolders in the downloads folder like objects and hacks but not skins.. however you then mentioned that you have folders separated as objects, hacks and "SKINS" directly under the My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2. I tried it out the objects and the hacks were fine, but the Skins didn't work. They skins, genetics, makeup etc didn't show up in game. So if you have a Skins folder how did you get it to work? Please help. Thank you..
Page 1 of 2