Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Black Metal Grate Floor (by request)

by RGiles Posted 26th Dec 2004 at 11:19 AM - Updated 4th Mar 2005 at 5:02 PM by RGiles

43 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 41 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 11:42 AM
Thanks a lot, I really like this. Off for testing some ideas.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 1:53 PM
Bring that tutorial fast then that was so excellent how did u do that exactly is the question that needs to be answered
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 2:13 PM
Will do. The really short version is that I made a regular floor tile in HCP with my texture, then edited the texture to add an alpha channel for the transparent parts and reimported the texture to the tile in SimPE. Then I stole the Material description from the Maxis pool-bottom floor tile because it had all the right parts in the right order... I just had to delete the animation parts and change the name of the texture in it to the name of the one I made. And then I used that material description to replace the one that HCP had created for my tile.

I'll explain in more detail soon, but for anyone who's been doing the object recolors a lot, that's a push in the right direction at least. But... you only need to replace 2 files, and you keep them with the same name homecrafter gives them, so it's not very complicated at all.

RG
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 2:16 PM
I like it know all I need is jail doors
very nice and different
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 3:02 PM
Oh wow! Very cool :D
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 8:32 PM
RGiles just what I need for my a revamp of my Heliport. Might even try to make a highrise landing pad out of it. Thanks a bunch.

Fido
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 8:52 PM
hehehe! A heliport never entered my mind when gnohmon asked for this sort of tile (or I hope this sort, anyway). If you do something with it, post a screenshot for me, would you? I'd love to see it.
Instructor
#9 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 11:36 PM
Fantastic job, and so quickly after the request you had gotten for it.

Melissa
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 26th Dec 2004 at 11:50 PM
Thank you. You gave me so many great new ideas with this floor.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:29 AM
This is fantastic thanks sooo much!
Hugs
Annie -x-
Field Researcher
#12 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:48 AM
If only you were a sim, I'd make-out with you. ^_<
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:58 AM
You are sooo freaking awesome!!
Test Subject
#14 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 4:11 AM Last edited by gnohmon : 27th Dec 2004 at 4:19 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Although I haven't tried it in game yet, the screenshot looks like you've captured the feel ot it pretty darned well!

However, if you had really understood the essence of it, you would have made the screenshot of a huge grated deck/balcony :-) When you put the grating over a room, it feels like it might rain inside -- but since that's what actually happens if you enable rain in sims2, it's logical! :-}

Imho, it's the best transparent floor, because it feels like a real floor, but you can still see what's happening below.

However, the grated floor did not sweep the world in sims1, so maybe my opinion is unusual...
Field Researcher
#15 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:24 AM
Rgiles, you are rocking my world.

Thanks!
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:29 AM
thx RGiles very useful!.
Test Subject
#17 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 4:13 PM
"It's not very good", as was said, but if you don't zoom in too close to the floor it looks fine. There are also problems with it disappearing when the camera is at a low pitch, but that's probably out of your control.

I've already used it, had a party on the balcony and it works fine. Nobody fell through :-)

Have you noticed that with the transparent tiles you can see people on the floor below, but not furniture?

A four-story house with one big room per floor, and all transparent floors could be interesting to look down on, don't you think?

This is excellent!
Original Poster
#18 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 4:43 PM
I should be posting a short tutorial on how to make these within the next couple of days. Probably someone has a better metal grate texture than I did (I am surprised I didn't have one, too.) And there are all different sorts of partly see-through floors that could be made. I'm thinking of stuff like rope bridges and who knows what else.

Glad you like it. I haven't really... hehehe... been playing the game. I've been spending all my time on this retexture stuff. I just have this "test subject" sim who I make try everything out for a couple minutes on his weird-looking half-built lot. :D
Field Researcher
#19 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 4:52 PM
Totally awesome. Thanks for doing this!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#20 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gnohmon
Have you noticed that with the transparent tiles you can see people on the floor below, but not furniture?

This happens already in the game. If you're on the 2nd floor, you will only see the people in the first floor and not the furniture. It's how the game saves on rendering graphics. Once you click on the house icon to get to the first floor, then you'll see the furniture. It only happens when you're not on the floor that you're looking at. You must set the house icon (I don't know what it's really called - you use it the most when you're in Build Mode) to the first floor to see the first floor furniture.

DDO
Test Subject
#21 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 3:33 AM
Isn't that just the "object hiding" option? If you turn object hiding off (in one of the options panels), then it should display everything. I think.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 11:35 PM
Default wow oh wow
im one of those silent readers and downloader dont really say much on the site but this is really great!!!!! If you can do walls like this awwww mannn!!!!! Try it try it!!!!!!! I hope you can do it make sure you pm me when you do the walls
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Dec 2004 at 4:54 PM
Rope bridges would be interesting using a tutorial and the constrainFloorElevation cheat.

Will this tutorial also work for normal mapping if possible for floors? I hope Maxis will update HomeCrafter Plus with this and roofs eventually.
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 4:37 AM
Dial9forPancakes,

I've done some normal mapping on floors as well. It's slightly different, but the same basic idea. It does work, but the effects aren't so impressive, at least in the samples I've tried. Maybe I can show you guys how to add the normal maps and you can show me how to make them more effective... I don't know much about making the maps expect how to use the photoshop plugin.

RG
Test Subject
#25 Old 5th Jan 2005 at 2:56 PM
Perfect For Making Me A Fire Escape That Looks Great
Page 1 of 2