Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Astronomy Career

by kaebaka Posted 27th Dec 2004 at 3:03 AM - Updated 7th Jun 2006 at 1:32 PM by SuperFly

22 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 19 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:16 AM
I'm a big fan of astronomy in general, and certain astronomers in particular. This will be a lovely addition to my game. Ah, this doesn't overwrite any of the other careers, does it?
Forum Resident
#3 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:20 AM
i just checked it out, it hasnt overwritten any of my careers...or at least, it doesnt look like it has.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:31 AM
In my game, this career didn't overwrite any of my existing Maxis careers or any of the custom careers I have installed.

My only concern is that while testing it on my own machine I didn't get any chance cards... But I also have only gotten them (for any career) twice while playing on my computer, so I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky or if there's something wrong that makes them not show up. Anyone know of an in-game way to force the chance card's appearance?
Forum Resident
#5 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:51 AM
hmmm are all your chance cards set to 85%? Dont worry either ways, even for my career it took a looong time for a chance card to come up.
Test Subject
#6 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:48 PM
Eeeeee!!! Thank you!!!
Test Subject
#7 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:55 PM
How did you know that this was the one I was waiting for....
Thank you so much, will start to try it today.
Test Subject
#8 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 5:45 PM
ah!!! thank you so much your a god :D
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 11:31 PM
Heh, as someone who was a space science major in college, it's not actually all that easy to get a job in Astronomy as this. But still a very nice addition.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 28th Dec 2004 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by trancejeremy
Heh, as someone who was a space science major in college, it's not actually all that easy to get a job in Astronomy as this. But still a very nice addition.

That's why you should just delay your sim for a loooong time as a post-doc.
Test Subject
#11 Old 29th Dec 2004 at 9:09 PM
OOOOh there's a level for graduate student! That's me! I'm going to try this
Field Researcher
#12 Old 30th Dec 2004 at 1:41 AM
I'm playing this at the momenet, and so far its working very well. Thanks!
Test Subject
#13 Old 31st Dec 2004 at 7:36 AM
Default levels?
Can you tell me the levels of this one please? Thanks a bunch
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 1:01 AM
The levels and pay are:

1 - Computer Programmer, $240/day
2 - Research Assistant, $240/day
3 - Graduate Student, $320/day
4 - Post-Doctoral Researcher, $420/day
5 - Private College Professor, $545/day
6 - University Professor, $750/day
7 - Research Scientist, $900/day
8 - Senior Scientist, $1000/day
9 - Project Head, $1100/day
10 - Institute Director, $1300/day

Yes, I realize that the first two levels have the same pay, but as a research assistant, you get the chance to get your name added on to the end of the author's list on the papers! Doesn't that make it worth it?
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 2nd Jan 2005 at 1:09 AM
Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 11th Jan 2005 at 6:32 PM Last edited by BoaConstrictor : 15th Jan 2005 at 1:54 PM. Reason: new insight and new questions
It doesn't show up under its proper name but under "Law enforcer" on non-US. Could you probably change this, too?

just noticed something strange: I thought "atronomer minder" would be 1st grade in your career, but checking the txt file I found out that it's computer programmer - something I thought belonged to one of the computer related careers.

So this one actually shows under name of "Athletic" in the paper, not as stated before "Law enforcement".

lol, have yet to find out, which the astronomer minder is linked to... Anyone know?

This is really hard work. With all the downloading and testing etc. I hadly ever get to play at all.
#17 Old 12th Jan 2005 at 2:13 AM
This worked great for me, and I have one sim at the top of the career track right now. The only thing i can complain about is the somewhat low pay....but otherwise, it works wonderfully, and my game has nearly every hack that this site has ever offered. thanks.
Test Subject
#18 Old 13th Jan 2005 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaebaka
Anyone know of an in-game way to force the chance card's appearance?

yes use boolprop testingcheatsenabled true.
hit the shift button and right click on a person.
hit spawn and the change card tester.
once you have it on your lot click on it and hit force change card on.
you can hit force out come to make it always a success. (i.e. no bad chance cards)

One in every five people are insane. Ask four friends. If its not them, it's you
Test Subject
#19 Old 14th Jan 2005 at 9:31 PM
I am having a problem with maternity leave for this career. The women in question has gotten pregnant twice while on this career track. She recieved the two days of pregnacy leave perfectly. After the baby was born she did recieve the pop-up box saying she would get extra leave to take care of her newborn, but the carpool still came the next morning and she still lost vacation days for missing it.
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th Jan 2005 at 4:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by firelizard5
I am having a problem with maternity leave for this career. The women in question has gotten pregnant twice while on this career track. She recieved the two days of pregnacy leave perfectly. After the baby was born she did recieve the pop-up box saying she would get extra leave to take care of her newborn, but the carpool still came the next morning and she still lost vacation days for missing it.

Ignore that. I just realized that the extra maternity leave comes in the form of more paid vacation days instead of automatic leave. Ooops.
Instructor
#21 Old 20th Nov 2005 at 5:55 AM
Does anybody know if this career can be updated for Univ and NL? Thanks!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 5th Mar 2016 at 5:13 PM
Thank You
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#23 Old 1st Dec 2021 at 7:43 PM
Thank you.