Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Smarter Food Serving 2g

by dizzy2 Posted 19th Jun 2005 at 12:58 PM - Updated 26th Sep 2005 at 4:02 AM by dizzy2 : Update

129 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 128 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 6
Test Subject
#2 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 1:36 PM
Ooohhh Thankyou!!!!!! Wait Am I First!! Yay Downloading Now!!!!!
Instructor
#3 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 1:48 PM
I fear this may be impossible , but I suggest a hack whereas the sim actually COUNTS the number of people in the house and SERVES that number of dishes.
The family size is 8 but the serving size is 6. That's been annoying ever since sims 1.0.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 2:44 PM
Group serving size depends on the food object itself, so (rather than changing the Fridge object) you would have to hack all the foods to do this (another fun project that I think someone else is working on).
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 3:05 PM
I would be great if we could choose the number of dishes we want served. For instance, in a family of eight, sometimes we only want to serve four sims. But when we click serve, they place six plates and the extra two plates go to waste. It's annoying as hell!

To reach the unreachable star.

Wilde Legacy

#6 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 6:01 PM
I'm not sure I understand this. Why would you want to fix only one meal if there are 3 adults? If I tell them to serve a meal, I want them to serve everybody.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 6:05 PM
The problem is that group meals cost as much as 4 single meals. You don't break even on the cost until you can serve to at least 4 adults. Plus, 3 adults rarely ever eat at the same time. Children can't cook for themselves, so of course you have no choice but to serve them.
Scholar
#8 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 6:09 PM
Woo-Hoo! Thanks so much for this! Maxis made the Sims so stupid when it came to knowing how much food to prepare!
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 8:45 PM
Thanks I have been looking for something like this. You rock. Thanks a bunch.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 8:54 PM
Very nice .. this has been waited on and a very problematic hack that several people have worked on so i know it wasnt that easy to do .. many thanks' will go test it and see what i can do with it and let you know how it goes.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 10:10 PM
Well, as it turns out the Fridge globals actually create the Food object, so changing the serve count at that point is not altogether hard (just a matter of sorting through some awful-looking BHAV code). Hopefully this new version works out better for you guys.
Deviant Savant
retired moderator
#12 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 10:56 PM Last edited by CynicalChick : 19th Jun 2005 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo queen today
Just a thought.. when a Sim serves a meal, they know to set out a number of plates equal to the number of people on the lot. Seems like there has to be a way to exploit this to allow you to choose a number of servings made, or limit the number of servings to the number of people.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Jun 2005 at 11:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dizzy2
New for 1.b:

Added new smart routines. Now calculates more precise servings and applies more precise cost of food prepared.

This could theoretically serve 50 servings for 50 sims, etc. So, be careful with this. I'm not sure what happens if your fridge goes negative on food amounts. :P

Updated.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 2:16 AM
This would be great for my butler Tutorial. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 2:26 AM
would you download it to the download section?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 5:16 AM
I don't quite understand this hack either since my problem has always been sims cooking for themselves only, even when they have guests and everyone is hungry. I would like the sims to cook meals for everyone in the house including guests. I don't usually have a problem with food shortage since i use the perma fridge hack and use motherlode.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 20th Jun 2005 at 1:38 PM
This is interesting I'll try it out this afternoon and let you know if there are any issues.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 21st Jun 2005 at 1:34 PM
hey, what a great idea! thanks so much i will try it today! thanks :howdy:
Test Subject
#19 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 12:59 AM
thx a bunch my sims are selfish SOBs
This will really help
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 10:58 AM
is there anyway to count toddlers in high chairs as one as well? Normally I feed toddlers while another sim is serving the rest of the food, that way they don't serve the toddler, but everyone eats at the same time. The fridge locked down though and locks out serving toddler mush as well as serving adult food so, I couldn't feed my toddler. I was going to wait, and just feed them later, but my sim served my toddlers first! And, as luck would have it, I had three adult sims on the lot, and three toddlers (triplets hack)! My adults were in near need failure. I ended up selling and rebuying the fridge so it all worked out in the end, but if you could count toddlers in high chairs (or toddlers in general, i don't really mind the extra food, its too little that bugs me) that would be great! I LOVE this hack for all my families without insane amounts of toddlers though. It makes life so much easier when I'm not always having sims seven and eight having to fend for themselves!

P.S. yes, its my own fault for having family sizes too big
P.P.S no, I didn't know until later that it doesn't lock out serving bottles at the time...i do now, but would still rather not have the worry of maybe locking out the fridge because grandpa sim decided Little Johnny sim shouldn't get the bottle moms holding, but would rather get some mashed up pancakes
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Jun 2005 at 5:28 PM
Um...

Okay, so should I or shouldn't I count toddlers?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 12:58 PM Last edited by Morganthe : 23rd Jun 2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling
you should count toddlers. if possible only if they are in a high chair, if not then toddlers in general
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 1:49 PM Last edited by dizzy2 : 23rd Jun 2005 at 5:35 PM.
Hmm... I guess I should try playing a few toddlers... Although I still have no idea why you want to waste a meal for each toddler.

I don't see what feeding toddlers has to do with serving meals. If you want to feed the toddlers while you serve, be my guest. It's a completely different function of the fridge that has nothing to do with my mod.

Now, if you want a variation of this mod that makes the meal-server first put hungry toddlers into their chairs, serve them, then serve normal meals, I could possibly do that (although that would take a bit of coding).
Test Subject
#24 Old 23rd Jun 2005 at 10:21 PM
Very nice ^_^ I always hated when two of my sims would go and make individual meals at the same time. I love you :D

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—George W. Bush; Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Jun 2005 at 1:23 AM Last edited by dizzy2 : 24th Jun 2005 at 3:58 AM. Reason: Elaboration on previous thoughts
Ugh. Ignore my previous post. I had "Feed with Bottle" confused with the generic "Feed ..." action.

This just shows how much I play toddlers. I'll look into adding code for "Feed ..." if there are toddlers and toddler chairs (it's probably fairly simple).

EDIT: I found some code in the Nanny AI that does something similar to this. It's pretty simple (although I'm not sure I calculating the food cost correctly). Works for me, anyway.
Page 1 of 6