Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Colored Spotlights - All Versions

by jgwhiteus Posted 26th Sep 2005 at 6:25 AM - Updated 20th Oct 2008 at 1:27 PM by -Maylin-

43 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 38 Feedback Posts, 4 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Instructor
#2 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 9:42 AM
Oo, I like those very much. Thank you!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 11:39 AM
These are great! I'm always trying to hide the tabletop colored lights in bushes and such to get that colored effect so I'm thrilled I can finally just use a colored outdoor light. THANKS!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 11:45 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thank you :D

To all those interested in Draco and Hermione fics, please visit this site and leave a little review http://www.fanfiction.net/~hellish
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 12:19 PM
Great work :gidea:
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 1:01 PM
cool I love the lights....
Mad Poster
#7 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 1:10 PM Last edited by niol : 26th Sep 2005 at 1:24 PM.
Hi jgwhiteus

Thanks for making them fit for all...

I notice that the spot light colour effect can be on objects, fences, doors, sims and etc but wallpapers... Is that intentional?

In the first screenshot,
the right-most is the combinational of the three with moveobjects cheat, the second rightmost is the Maxis default white one, the middle is the green and the second leftmost is the blue and the leftmost is the red.

With moveobjects cheat, yellow, magenta and cyan can form from 2 of the 3 colours except the white one.

The next pic is showing the 2 red and 1 green on the right combo while 2 blue and 1 green on the left combo. To my surprise, I can see some overlapping shrines that ceiling lights cannot give. That's probably due to the lighting direction of TS2.

Anyway, they're definitely very cool, especially for non-EP2 users...

A lightful house of TYs...
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 1:46 PM
Hi niol,

Yes, the spotlights will illuminate objects but not walls and floors (you'll note that the regular spotlights also give off light on the ground, while these do not). It's not intentional; apparently something gets lost when this object is cloned and modified. I've tried previously to find out where the lighting values for walls & floors are internally in the object, and I also tried overriding them externally (with the .nlo files), but I haven't seen an effect - modifications that work on other lamps don't appear to work on them (which is why the ceiling bulbs can give off light on walls and floors).

Thank you for testing out the various color combinations. An occasional "quirk" of these is that when you have a mix of colors on the same object, you can make different hues dominant depending on which one spotlight you select in the catalog - so you can bring out the red tones, green tones, etc. I think it has something to do with the way the game chooses to render light when different light sources are on one object, but I'm not sure.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 5:23 PM
i would get but since it does not shine on walls or floors im not getting :-(
Scholar
#10 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 5:53 PM
thank you JG, these look great shining on statues and trees. I haven't tried the color combining yet, so thank you for the tips also.
xo
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Sep 2005 at 7:37 PM
[COLOR=Plum]Whiiiii!! How nice lights!! I love them, thanx![/COLOR]

I don't think you're odd because you're pretty, I think you're pretty because you're od... :P
Test Subject
#12 Old 27th Sep 2005 at 2:56 AM
:nod: Thanks.....These are cool!
Mad Poster
#13 Old 27th Sep 2005 at 6:22 AM Last edited by niol : 27th Sep 2005 at 7:07 AM. Reason: typos
Hello jgwhiteus,

For me, this's great that there're some coloured lights wouldn't affect the walls and floors...

It's definitely good for me to have the coloured lights both affecting walls & floors (the ceiling ones) and not affecting walls & floors (the spotlight one).
:D

Can't thank you enough...

PS:
I agree with you and believe that all these interesting results are the aftermath of all those algorithms in TS2 rendering engine. Reading the lines behind these co-relationships can further manipulate many other possibilities... :D

Oh yes, these spotlights work very well under TS2 original (EP0/no EP)
Scholar
#14 Old 27th Sep 2005 at 1:25 PM
fantastic! thanks!
Consciously Undead
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Sep 2005 at 1:52 PM
Ohh, pwetty! Checking them out now- thanks!
Forum Resident
#16 Old 30th Sep 2005 at 4:46 PM
Many many thanx JG, they look absolutely fantastic, really can't wait to try them.
#17 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 8:04 PM
Can't seem to get them in my outdoor lighting in Night Life. Any way to fix that?
Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 2:13 AM
The spotlights havnt been showing up well for me on normal objects but easely enough to show thre shoing up. I get absolutly nothing on floors but oddely on walls i get a very slight hint of color.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 4th Oct 2005 at 5:28 PM
Very nige lights ! They make Sim pictures and videos look really cool !
Test Subject
#20 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 12:27 AM
these are awesome. thank you
Forum Resident
#21 Old 14th Oct 2005 at 8:16 AM
This is such a cool idea, especially with Halloween coming. Thank you very much.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 17th Oct 2005 at 4:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HelceAudron
The spotlights havnt been showing up well for me on normal objects but easely enough to show thre shoing up. I get absolutly nothing on floors but oddely on walls i get a very slight hint of color.

For the "lighting effect", the texture colour defintion RGB has to be high enough in order to show an effect. This's not only true for JGwhiteus' lihts but also other lights. The true black definition (R000, G000, B000 / hex "000000") will not result any "lighting effect" at all coz there's no value to be magnified. So, choose some brighter objects to be lit on...
Test Subject
#23 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 1:07 AM
i used the move_objects on cheat and put three of each facing front and sides under the buffet table.. it looked awesome the flowers and plates were diffrent colors.

thank you for these lights. i use them everywhere
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 11:41 AM
Hey thanks so much for these spot-lights! They look so beautiful! I cant wait to try them out. Shame ive got to get off the computer in 15 mins. It takes about 15 mins to come on! Oh well thanks again they look awsome!
:baloons:
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 27th Nov 2005 at 4:14 PM
I have been waiting for someone to make these! Thank you!
Page 1 of 2